Introduction to the Publishing Houses of the United Brethren Church
The United Brethren Publishing House was established in 1834 primarily for the purpose of publishing a denominational periodical. Eventually the publishing house produced other publications such as hymnals, disciplines, reports, and other books. The United Brethren Publishing House began in Circleville, Ohio with William Rhinehart as the publisher and first editor of the Religious Telescope. The publishing house moved to Dayton, Ohio in 1853. After the Division of 1889 the seperate United Brethren denominations operated their own publishing houses. The New Constitution United Brethren continued to operate out of the historic building on corner of Main and Fourth Street in Dayton. The Old Constitution United Brethren moved their headquarters to the West Dayton area of South Broadway. Many publications printed by the Old Constitution during this period of the 1890s were actually printed at the office of Wright & Wright printers. Wright & Wright was operated by Orville and Wibur Wright, sons of Bishop Milton Wright. In 1897 the publishing house was moved to Huntington, Indiana in 1897 where it continued to operate until 1981. The New Constitution continued to operate their publishing business in Dayton, Ohio eventually becoming The Otterbein Press. The publishing establishment of the New Constitution United Brethren was eventually discontinued after the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren with the Methodist Church in 1968. This research guide contains links to the electronic transcriptions of some of the publications.
Huntington, IN 46750